Can I volunteer?

FRU's volunteers are law students, lawyers or people with practical legal experience. To volunteer you must meet our minimum criteria, set out below.

All volunteers must be able to visit the FRU office regularly while running cases. Volunteers must agree to abide by the BSB Handbook, as it applies to FRU.

Minimum academic requirements

To attend a training day you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a Student / Young Lawyer who has either completed your LLB or GDL or are in your final term of your LLB or GDL and will have completed the course by the time you start volunteering for FRU
  • Cilex students who have completed their level 6 diploma
  • Foreign Qualified Lawyer

If you have practical experience of working in the tribunals we cover, but do not meet the above requirements, you should contact us with details of your experience.  We are usually looking for at least 6 months FTE working in either social security (if you’re volunteering in social security) or employment (if you’re volunteering for employment).

These are our minimum requirements.  The work we do at FRU is designed to compliment the experience that students have on the vocational courses, or in the early years of practice.

Reasonable Adjustments

FRU will make reasonable adjustments to allow those with disabilities to volunteer. Please contact us explaining your situation.